- 2 tablespoons yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3/4 cup plus 1/8 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 cups bread flour
- 1 Tbsp salt
- Dissolve yeast in warm water with 1/2 cup flour.
- Wait 10 minutes for slurry to foam.
- Add oil, honey, eggs, and egg yolks to the yeast mixture.
- Add 1 tablespoon salt all all but a few handfuls of remaining flour.
- Knead dough by hand (flour the space you are kneading on) or with a bread hook for 15 minutes. The dough should be the consistency of an earlobe. Add flour if necessary.
- Make into ball, coat thinly with olive oil, cover and let rise until double, approximately 2 hours.
- Punch down, cover and let rise again until double, approximately 1 hour.
- Punch down
- Separate the dough into 3 balls. Separate each ball into 3, 4, 5, or 6 equal pieces and roll them into strands. Braid and place on oiled cookie sheet. Cover and let rise until 1½ times the original size.
- Brush with egg wash, sprinkle with toppings if desired, and bake at 350 F for 18 minutes.
- Check for even cooking and rotate if needed.
- Finish baking for approximately 12 – 17 minutes. Underside will sound hollow when tapped.
Recipe Credit: Ron + Robert Hovden